A very brief biography of Kevin
- I grew up in Ogden Dunes, Indiana
- My father spent his adult life on the University of Chicago campus. He was born in Pennsylvania, but grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He served in the US Marine Corps during World War II. He died in Chicago in 1993.
- My mother grew up in Hyde Park, Chicago, and bore 4 children in two "sets". She divides her time between Indiana and Texas, has many grandchildren, and is grieving the loss of her husband, Jack Hinman.
- My mom's last marriage combined our family with the family of my best friend David. Eventually there were 23 regulars in our family gatherings, which was grand.
- I went to Portage High School, by which time I had started to be a musician, playing tuba and trombone, and occasionally other brass instruments.
- My mother took us on many summer trips, we saw a lot of the country (when she could get us to look out the windows!)
- My mother's brother Al began taking us on wilderness trips when I was a teenager. These had a big influence on my values. We hiked in the Uintah mountains in Utah, we canoed in Quetico, down the Missinaibi river and the Churchill River, and jeeped through Canyonlands.
- I went to Interlochen National Music Camp in 1977, and worked there in 1980 and 1981
- I attended Indiana University from 1979 to... a long time later, studying music, mathematics, psychology, semantics, semiotics, Chinese, religion... ended up with a Philosophy degree.
- I played in a North Carolina School for the Arts summer orchestra in Pinehurst, Frankfurt, Assissi and Spoleto.
- I spent a semester in China back before Tianan Men
- I was married once, for a few years.
- I still do wilderness travel when I can.
- Now I do computer work -- I'd say I am a digital custodian.
- I ride recumbent bicycles and tricycles.
- I take a lot of digital photographs.
I didn't mean to bore you -- I mostly put this bio here so that web search engines that
ignore meta tags will pick up some of the things that link me to other people in the world...
last updated April 11, 2001
Comments, communications, congress: katkins (at-sign) indiana (dot) edu